I love to teach my son how to ride and repair stuffs the old fashion way. Here I will share some of our cheap DIY projects and repairs. I will also share some of my experience as a biker and as a pro mechanic. I am not a mechanic anymore but I still do repairs but mostly for my own machineries and this is why I try to keep everything easy and cheap. I also don't race anymore but I still love riding up the mountains where there is little or no help and all I can rely on is my small tool pouch and my monkey repair skills to bring me home whenever my bike or my friends bike breaks down.

If you are a tech-wiz or some kind of high-tech repair guru who likes spending too much $$$s buying stuffs and spends most of your time at a coffee shop posing your best biker battle gear clown costume and talking how great a biker you are then THIS IS NOT FOR YOU... Here we seriously ride our bikes and we try to keep everything simple, easy and cheap. Most of what I will share here are intended for riders who usually break their bikes to peices and may not be needed by other bikers.

I will also be sharing some cheap ways how I repaired my cars and computers. And for laughs, I will also add some weird / funny / odd stuffs that I or we did that worked and didn't work. Sorry about this blog's style, set-up or whatever you may call it, I'm an old school biker and its easier for me wrenching cars and bikes than typing on my keyboard...

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

temporary quick oil leak fix



This is a Suzuki Djebel 250 that a good riding buddy gave me. My friend rides like a looney and couldn't control himself riding on boulders pretending that this off-roader is a Trials bike. He rode over a boulder and hit the engine hard and cracked the engine. I was looking for a donor engine but I wanted to take it for a spin before the repairs. The oil leak was bad but it didn't stop me from riding it. 


To stop the oil from leaking, first I drained the engine oil, drained the fuel, flipped the bike on it's back, cleaned the engine with a wire brush and parts cleaner spray and applied liquid engine gasket and waited for a week. After a week I rode the bike off-road and had a good time. 

This is just a quick fix and I recommend to do proper repairs. For crazy off-road riders, I suggest you to bring a tube of engine gasket sealant in your tool pouch. Based on my experience, twice I did this quick fix up in the mountain creek when my riding buddy crashed his Trials bike on a boulder cracking his bike's clutch case cover. Pushing the bike was not an option because we were about 7 kilometers away from our vans and there were no roads because we were on top of a creek. We still have to cover lots of grounds, ride very steep climbs and jump lots of boulders and that will be impossible without the engine working. I flipped the bike on it's side and got some leaves to clean the dripping oil from the clutch case cover, applied engine gasket sealer and waited for about an hour, started the bike and my friend rode his bike back to safety. The next week my friend came to ride again but still didn't replace the clutch cover. It took him about 3 months to replace his clutch cover and kept riding his patched-up bike. He always told us that "if it ain't leaking, I ain't fixing"... crazy guy, hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment