I love to teach my son how to ride and repair stuffs the old fashion way. Here I will share some of our cheap DIY projects and repairs. I will also share some of my experience as a biker and as a pro mechanic. I am not a mechanic anymore but I still do repairs but mostly for my own machineries and this is why I try to keep everything easy and cheap. I also don't race anymore but I still love riding up the mountains where there is little or no help and all I can rely on is my small tool pouch and my monkey repair skills to bring me home whenever my bike or my friends bike breaks down.

If you are a tech-wiz or some kind of high-tech repair guru who likes spending too much $$$s buying stuffs and spends most of your time at a coffee shop posing your best biker battle gear clown costume and talking how great a biker you are then THIS IS NOT FOR YOU... Here we seriously ride our bikes and we try to keep everything simple, easy and cheap. Most of what I will share here are intended for riders who usually break their bikes to peices and may not be needed by other bikers.

I will also be sharing some cheap ways how I repaired my cars and computers. And for laughs, I will also add some weird / funny / odd stuffs that I or we did that worked and didn't work. Sorry about this blog's style, set-up or whatever you may call it, I'm an old school biker and its easier for me wrenching cars and bikes than typing on my keyboard...

Friday, October 1, 2010

Easy tire change for tubeless tires

Some rims have deeper beads to stop the air from leaking and to prevent the tire from rolling over and getting thrown out of the rim's bead. My rear tire is tubeless (for competition use only) and we only inflate it up to 0.3kgs and that is like running on a flat tire. Imagine how deep the beads are and how tough the tire is which makes it very tough to install. Most brand new tubeless off-road competition tires are difficult to install.




What I do is cut about 10 cms wide cardboard paper and roll them up. I bound the cardboard with tape and stick about 5 to 6 rolled cardboard inside the tire and do the replacement another day. I use a mixture of water and soap and apply it evenly around the lips of the rubber.
Another technique is to use a water hose. 1st install the tire to the rim, spray water/soap mixture, insert the hose between the tire and the rim then over lap the water hose. Use compressed air and as the tire fits in gently pull the water hose out from the tire, keep on pumping in air until the tire seats on the rim's bead.

No comments:

Post a Comment